mobile='yes'

Sunday, February 24, 2013

excuse the blurry photo

but i'm chuffed to have met my little nephew for the first time! technically i don't get to call him 'nephew' because he's not my sibling's child. instead, he should be my 'cousin once removed' but that's a mouthful to describe a little guy. 
 
2013 was truly a bumper year for my porpor :) she's got six grandkids. three from my uncle, three from my mother. my eldest cousin had a baby, my second cousin got married, i got married, my third cousin graduated from medical school and my siblings started university. not bad for descendants of a kampong girl whose education was disrupted by the japanese occupation, never finished primary school and obediently "stopped at two" when it came to child-bearing. i know people complain, and i appreciate current the political climate is unsettled, but seriously. how many other countries empower people to break the poverty cycle in the span of ONE generation (my uncle and mother are both uni grads). similarly, my paternal grandmother, a school teacher, was widowed when my father was nine. she raised her only child alone and he was awarded an army scholarship to go to university. again, i'm very conscious of how my grandmothers' and parents' hard work got them where they are today. and am so grateful to be born into a country that gives equal opportunity regardless of socio-economic status.

some semblance of political awareness aside, chuffed as i was to meet baby S, he didn't seem half as chuffed to meet me. in fact, doesn't he look downright petrified to you? haha i do try but babies just don't like me. sad but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment